Thursday, February 25, 2010

Historic Half Marathon

This weekend I traveled to Vancouver to race a Half Marathon and catch some of the Olympic excitement. I had tickets to go see Slovakia vs. Latvia in Hockey. I was amazed at how many people actually owned Latvia Hockey Jerseys. I guess I underestimated the Latvian fan base.
On to the race...

The race started and finished in Fort Langley. The conditions were perfect, not too cold and hardly any wind. I had a feeling I might be running on my own for most of the race and decided to push from the start and try to break the course record. I pushed the pace from the start and going through 5k I was thinking maybe I had gone too fast, however I was at a turn around section and where you run passed the other 1500 people in the race for the next 3k. Its hard to slow down when everyone is cheering you on. I kept the pace high and thankfully my fitness carried me to the finish. 1:08:28. Win, Course record, PB, front running by myself on a hilly course in February, count it.

Try Events the company that held the race did an awesome job. I'll definitely do more of their events in the future. Everything was super well marked, and the volunteers were super friendly. Steve King announcing the finish is always a great touch.

http://www.tryevents.ca/

3 comments:

stevo said...

Historic 1/2 IM coming your way . . . hope things are going well bud. Have a good one this weekend!

Fleck said...

Jeff,

When you have a few minutes please contact me.

Best regards,

Steve Fleck
Nineteen Wetsuits
steve@nineteenwetsuits.com

Sub40 said...

Did you know that if you ran that fast at the Canadian Half Marathon Championships you would have placed 8th? You are fast!